Thursday, March 5, 2009

One of my personal favorites...


I spent some time today, talking with the brilliant and gifted Chicago Artist, Richard Laurent. For those of you who are unaware of this contemporary Master, his paintings are composed of technically amazing and wonderfully clever imagery. The canvases, filled with representational elements acting as metaphor, becoming a puzzle for the viewer to solve. I’m intrigued that I find personal relevance within many of his compositions.

"Dream of Swimming" [above] comes from a series of wonderful chair paintings, which Laurent has produced in recent years. It was purchased by The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago, at the 2008 "Art of Real Estate" exhibition. The school owns and maintains numerous pieces by local and national Artists. Pieces from the collection can be seen at gallery180.com. Additional work by Richard Laurent can be found on his web site, laurentart.com.

3 comments:

  1. Chuck, Thank you very much for following our blog. I just discovered Chicago Fine Art and so far I am really enjoying your entries.

    I really like the painting with the Wing Chair, and the movement in the background is really interesting.

    Keep the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing artist. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your site thru Patricia Gray. Wonderful and I am very impressed and inspired by the work of Richard Laurent. If you have a chance come by my blog and my web site www.dianebronstein.com
    ... I am a former Chicagoan by the way, who studied under Gianni Cilfone for many years.

    ReplyDelete