Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Metaphysical Symbolism


Lucia Gomez
Elemental Fragments Series "Untitled No. 56", 2008, oil on canvas, 20x20"

I review a number of exhibition proposals each month, for possible exhibition at Gallery 180 of The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago. The proposals are sent from all over the country and occasionally from around the world. As I began clearing my desk by opening the numerous sealed envelopes containing samples of artist's work, I came upon a postmark from Colombia. I was intrigued. The proposal was from Lucia Gomez.

As I read the Artist Statement, I found some wonderful passages with which I could identify. Again, I was intrigued. Edited from her statement... "My paintings express metaphysical symbolism and shamanic themes..." "Forms flow ... giving way to ... labyrinths full of mystery and color that emerge from a state of mental relaxation." There seem to be some wonderful ideas here. You can find Gomez's statement in its entirety on her website at: luciagomez.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment