Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Lorraine Sack, "Impressions"


Above is a painting titled "Impressions" by artist Lorraine Sack. This piece is from a series of still life oil paintings that Sack has been working on for the past few years. The image is 16 x 20 inches and produced in oil on canvas. Sack's website explains her process...

The creative process of still life is much like theatre to me. It is taking a blank space and changing it into something specific to be viewed.

The process of setting the stage for the painting is intuitive. I try out the space itself with objects, natural light, and color as characters each playing a part. Usually the object I chose for the focus is one I admire for the presence it holds. I look at the abstract patterns while arranging and rearranging the secondary objects, the light, and the background around the focus until I see the right ensemble.

Then I start the painting process. First, I establish the abstract patterns with a solid foundation of paint on canvas. Next, I slowly layer veils of color with my brush to weave the space into objects and develop their character. Finally, I know the still life is finished when all the parts play their role working together as a unified voice to create the space I intended.

Lorraine Sack's "Impressions" will be available at the upcoming benefit for Heartland Alliance as well as the Preview Exhibition at Gallery 180 of The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago. Gallery 180 will host a catered reception for the Preview Exhibition on January 22 from 5:30-7:30. This event is free to the public and all of the work will be available for purchase with all proceeds going directly to Heartland Alliance. Gallery 180 of The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago is located at 180 N. Wabash—at the corner of Lake and Wabash—in Chicago's Loop. I hope to see you there!

Additional work by Lorraine Sack can be seen on her web site: lorrainestudios.com

3 comments:

  1. wonderful work . the process is really well developed too !
    thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its charming though a little sad but that could just be me. My grandfather had a copy of a piece done by that Dutch Painter Heda in his library when I was a child and found that sad too. I suppose something about painted glass goes against my nature.
    Nonetheless, I thank you for sharing this with me.
    Warm regards,
    Simone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful and perfect like a photo.

    ReplyDelete