Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gina Randazzo ~ photo '11


Gina Randazzo is another of the artists who's work is currently being presented in the "photo '11" exhibition at Gallery 180 of The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago. The simplistic beauty of Randazzo's repetitive patterns emerging from darkness, are used to comment on a society focused on acquisitions. Randazzo elaborates:
This series of images is an expression of my feelings about living in a society where so much emphasis is placed on shopping. Sometimes it seems to me that consumerism is the main component of American culture, now exported around the world. (I photographed malls in India that look like Sherman Oaks, CA.) While I am extremely thankful that I am able to procure the goods and services I need to live comfortably, I aim to question the constant pressure I feel to enter and engage in the commercial marketplace.

I photographed consumer environments with an eye towards examining the architecture and design that invite consumption. I depict my psycho-physical reactions to the surroundings by removing the mid-tones from the photographs, causing the environment to disintegrate. My framing highlights the disorientation caused by visual overload. I attempt to display the subtexts of sexual desire and religious awe that the consumer is subliminally exposed to. The resulting images explore the emotions evoked by my experience of consumerism.

Gina Randazzo is one of ten artist exhibiting in photo '11 at Gallery 180 of The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago. Commissions from sales will benefit Heartland Alliance in their Human Rights efforts. The entire exhibition can be seen at gallery180.com The exhibition continues through March 3rd.


Shopping 2 [top] Archival Pigment Print, open edition, 12.5 x 18.5, framed at 17" x 23", 2010, $600.
Shopping 4 [above] Archival Pigment Print, open edition, 12.5 x 18.5, framed at 17" x 23", 2010, $600.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment